Its been one year since DJI officially launched the DJI Spark and for me and many others, it really filled a void in the drone universe. The spark was marketed as a selfie drone but really its capabilities go so much further than that. One of the main features that many like about the spark is its small size. The spark was portable, powerful and offered a really high quality 1080 HD video. The spark is easy to pack and can fit easily into a backpack which made it the ultimate travel drone. I myself do a lot of hiking and the DJI Spark always comes along with me just in case I want to grab some footage. The DJI Spark has been on sale for some time at $100 off the original price and now comes with a free remote. When DJI puts their drone on sale it tends to mean that a new drone is coming down the pipe.
$399 DJI Spark With Free Remote: https://bit.ly/2kwcmAK
Fast forward a year later and we now have the Mavic Air alongside the spark and makes one wonder if the Spark is even relevant anymore? The reason I say this is because the Mavic Air actually folds up smaller than the DJI Spark and is easier to pack. This was one of the main selling points to many. Personally, I think there is still a market for the DJI spark and here is my reasoning and what features I would like to see introduced with a DJI Spark 2/Pro or whatever they decide to name it.
- Lose Some Weight: I think the size of the Sparks is still very important. The Spark comes in at a weight of 300 grams with a battery installed. For many countries, 250 grams is where most regulations kick in. Drones over 250 Grams need to follow the drone rules and flight restriction zones. If they could shave off another 50 grams somehow I think this would appeal to many people including myself. Those who live in large cities where there are so many no-fly zones could actually get back up in the air. This would have to be my number one wish for a new Spark, however, I don’t want DJI to go too extreme with a smaller size. The lighter a drone is the easier it can be blown around in the wind. The current spark does an amazing job in the wind and I would like it to remain that way.
- Folding Arms & Props: Now many people may disagree with this, but I would like to see the Spark 2 to be a folding drone. This would make the footprint of the DJI Spark 2 super small and super easy to pack and transport. Folding drones are very popular in today’s market and I think the Spark 2 would be a perfect candidate for a folding design. Others don’t like the folding design as it one extra step needed to get your bird up in the air and if you in a hurry it can be frustrating. Personally, I would rather a folding drone as I really don’t find it all that of an inconvenience.
- 4K Video: Now this is not super important to me as I am okay with 1080 HD Video, but if it could be done, 4K video would be a bonus. However, I would like it to be an excellent 4K! You see a lot of cheap cameras offering 4K video with low bit rates and bad picture quality. Personally, I would prefer superb 1080 than mediocre 4K.
- Rear Sensors: I would love to see some rear sensors added to the DJI Spark. Quite often I am flying backwards and having that little extra security would be really nice. Accidents do happen from time to time no matter how careful we are.
- Retain Price: Lastly, I would really like to see the Spark retain its 499 price point. In-fact the spark has been reduced in price for some time now selling at 399 with a free remote. I like this price point, it makes the drone more affordable and helps it get into the hands of more people.
Well, that is my wish-list. I would love to hear what new features you would like to see introduced into a next-generation DJI Spark.
Drone Flying Locations Map
Best Drone/GoPro Memory
Best RC Vehicle For Mounting A GoPro Or Osmo Action
Ulanzi L1 Pro LED Light Review & Comparison Against Lume Cube and Litra Torch Light
Ulanzi 10x Macro Lens For DJI Osmo Pocket Review
How ND Filters Affect Your Driving Time-lapses and Hyper-lapses
How To Capture Bracketed HDR Photos With The DJI Osmo Action
iPhone / iPad11 months ago
How To Use A Microphone With The Zhiyun Smooth 4 & iPhones
Editing Apps: Tips & Tutorials11 months ago
How To Color Grade Your GoPro Footage In LumaFusion
GoPro Gear / Accessories1 year ago
iSteady Pro Gimbal Review | Budget GoPro Gimbal For Under $100
GoPro Gear / Accessories1 year ago
GoPro Sleeve + Lanyard | Review & Thoughts
News & Rumors11 months ago
Is This The GoPro Hero 7 Black? GoPro Hero 7 Rumors & Leaks
GoPro Gear / Accessories9 months ago
Hero 7 Black Beginners Guide | How To Get Started
GoPro Gear / Accessories12 months ago
FeiyuTech G6 Plus Review
DJI Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom11 months ago
DJI Mavic 2 Pro Fly More Kit Shoulder Bag Review | How To Pack