For this comparison video of the DJI Osmo Action and GoPro Hero 7 Black, I am doing it a little differently. personally, I find the specs and performance of the two cameras when it comes to things like video quality and stabilization so close that it alone should not affect your decision on which camera you should purchase. What I think is more important is the features that each camera brings to the table and which ones are most important to you and how you will be using it. Watch our video as we go over all the pros and cons of the DJI Osmo Action compared to the GoPro Hero 7 Black. Keep in mind some of the pros and cons are time-sensitive, meaning that as the DJI Osmo Action’s firmware is updated and new accessories are released these comparisons will change.
Reasons To Buy The Hero 7 Black Over The DJI Osmo Action
- Hero 7 Black has GPS and telemetry data.
- You can live-stream with the Hero 7 Black.
- You can add video tags making editing easier.
- Hero 7 Black has an ultra wide shooting mode.
- You can shoot hyper lapses on the Hero 7 Black, it will eventually come to the Osmo Action but it currently is not available.
- GoPro has night shooting modes for photos and time-lapses taking the guesswork out. Also great for new users just learning how to use the camera.
- You can connect an external microphone. As of right now, there are no adapters allowing you to connect a microphone to the DJI Osmo Action. That will change at some point.
- Large ecosystem of gear, batteries, chargers, and remotes.
- You have the ability to zoom in to frame a shot in both video and photo mode with your hero 7 black.
- Great companion apps. The GoPro app and Quik app work well. The Mimo app for the DJI Osmo Pocket works well but lacking in features.
- No need to activate your GoPro. The Osmo Action needs to be activated before using it, frustrating for many users.
- GoPro has excellent customer support, this is very important when purchasing hardware like this.
- You have the ability to record in H.265. The DJI Osmo Action does not support this codec at this time.
- The GoPro Hero 7 Black has an HDMI port that allows you to connect to an external monitor or TV for media playback.
Reasons To Buy DJI Osmo Action Over The GoPro Hero 7 Black
- The DJI Osmo Action has dual screens making vlogging, taking selfies and composing some shots easier.
- You can capture 120-second long exposure photos on the DJI Osmo Action. Hero 7 Black only will capture a max of 30 seconds.
- The DJI Osmo Action has a bitrate of 100 Mbps compared to the GoPro’s 60 Mbps in auto and 78 Mbps when protune is enabled.
- You can create custom shooting modes on the DJI Osmo Action saving a lot of time when switching between shooting styles.
- The front lens of the DJI Osmo Action comes on and off quite easily. Great for those that need to change ND filters frequently.
- The DJI Osmo Action has cooling tubes on the front of the camera, preventing the camera from over-heating when shooting in 4k for long periods of time.
- The DJI Osmo Action has a nice clean interface, the layout makes more sense and changing settings is more intuitive.
- The Osmo Action is $50 less than the GoPro Hero 7 Black’s regular price.
- The DJI Osmo Action is waterproof without a waterproof case up to a depth of 11 meters, that is 1 meter more than the Hero 7 Black.
- More interval options when filming time-lapses.
- When filming a time-lapse is shows you how long a time-lapse will be according to duration.
- DJI tends to release many updates for its products, not only fixing problems but adding new features as well.
- You can turn on dewarp when filming in 4k to get rid of the fish-eye look. This is similar to GoPro’s linear mode, however, you can not shoot in linear mode when filming in 4k on the Hero 7 Black.
- The DJI Osmo Action looks better and I think will stay looking better over time. The Hero 7 Black I feel has a cheap look to it, the body also scuffs and scratches easily.
- My personal opinion is the audio on the DJI Osmo Action is better than the GoPro Hero 7 Black.
- You can modify the quick switch button on the DJI Osmo Action to only include the modes you want.
Drone Flying Locations Map
Best Drone/GoPro Memory
DJI Osmo Mobile 3 Review and First Look
DJI Ronin SC Unboxing, Setup & First Impressions With Canon EOS M50
Best RC Vehicle For Mounting A GoPro Or Osmo Action
Ulanzi L1 Pro LED Light Review & Comparison Against Lume Cube and Litra Torch Light
Ulanzi 10x Macro Lens For DJI Osmo Pocket Review
iPhone / iPad1 year ago
How To Use A Microphone With The Zhiyun Smooth 4 & iPhones
Editing Apps: Tips & Tutorials12 months ago
How To Color Grade Your GoPro Footage In LumaFusion
GoPro Gear / Accessories1 year ago
iSteady Pro Gimbal Review | Budget GoPro Gimbal For Under $100
News & Rumors1 year ago
Is This The GoPro Hero 7 Black? GoPro Hero 7 Rumors & Leaks
GoPro Gear / Accessories10 months ago
Hero 7 Black Beginners Guide | How To Get Started
DJI Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom11 months ago
Tips, Tricks and Hidden Features Of The DJI Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom
DJI Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom12 months ago
DJI Mavic 2 Pro Fly More Kit Shoulder Bag Review | How To Pack
GoPro Gear / Accessories1 year ago
FeiyuTech G6 Plus Review